Sunday, August 11, 2013

Season 01, Episode 01: "A Dog, A Cat, A Boy, & A Girl"



"I Had Me A Girl" by The Civil Wars

I honestly don't know what the fuck possessed me. I guess your true feelings start to come out when you realize that you are losing everything around you. When you panic you try to grasp at anything that will comfort you; anything that will remind you of any kind of solace or peace of mind. Watching as everything fell around me I guess I jumped at the next best thing. I just hope I don't regret it.

The wind blows through the rolled down windows as the dirt and sand gets kicked behind us. I sit in a black truck running on two good front tires, and two back ones that could give out at any moment. No air conditioning, a dog in the front seat with a name that could very well represent how much of a chance any of us have in this time of trial and tribulation, a cat that won't shut the fuck up, and my bloody ex-girlfriend. Now, I don't mean bloody in the sense that those Brits do, but bloody as in covered in blood.

She sits in the back, holding her knees to her chest, rocking back and forth as the sound of My Chemical Romance rings through my speakers. I have told her at least three times to put on her fucking seat belt, but I guess even mass death and destruction can't make her less stubborn; besides, it's not like we are likely to crash into anyone now, unless there is another human being alive that has the bright idea to drive 60 miles in search of a lost cause.

All kinds of emotions are running through my mind. I'm mad at myself mostly for giving a shit, but what the hell else was I supposed to do? Honestly, I can't do this alone...and neither can she. On one hand, I feel as if she could at least say thank you, but I can only imagine what is going through her mind right now. On the other hand, I want nothing more than to drop her and her annoying ass cat off on the side of the road, wish them luck, and leave them with some food and water, but I know I can't and won't do that.

I speed up, enough to get away from the runners, but slow enough not to aggravate the back tires, long enough for us to find a new means of transportation, or to find a shop and a way to put new tires on this thing. I knew I shouldn't have waited so long to do this. She continues to rock back and forth, knocking over bottles of Powerade and PopTarts, the few things I could salvage from the convenience store...what was left of it at least.

So many thoughts running through my mind: "What will happen to us? Is this all worth it? Will we even find what we are looking for?" I stare at my gun, amazed at how quickly I learned to use it, and ashamed of how I came across it. My baseball bat, grip wrapped in athletic tape, chipped and covered in blood. Luckily I stole a bottle of black spray paint from the home improvement store before that place was overrun. I see her staring at it, still rocking back and forth. I can't blame her; I'm not proud of what I've done with it. Hopefully the black paint will cover up the reminders of the unfortunate choices I've had to make. Hopefully blood won't stain black as much as it can normal colored wood.

The sun starts to set on this first day, but even the calming of night won't help this new world. If anything the darkness will be our biggest rival. I'm just glad this happened during the day.

I look in my rear-view mirror once more, her posture has turned from clutched to embrace as she holds her cat. Tears start to run down her face as she starts to whimper. I guess it has finally hit her. Neither of us are all too happy to be in this place, but unfortunately now we are all that we have. A dog, a cat, a boy, and a girl, roaming through dirt roads in search of something that we may never find. What the hell am I doing here you ask? I guess it would be better if I started off at the beginning...right?
WELCOME TO
THE END
 
Music From This Episode:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-civil-wars/id656406080
"I Had Me A Girl"
The Civil Wars
The Civil Wars

4 comments:

  1. Wow... holy shit. was not expecting this. at first i thought something really happened between last night and now between you but then realized it was telling a story... i think this is one of your best posts ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    fuck man! it's like an episode of the walking dead!
    I already know I'm going to fall in love with this! Why haven't I seen this writing before? Why did it take you til now to tell me about this??

    I'm gonna read this and get hooked, aren't I?
    Oh man, this better be worth postponing the Alice In Wonderland writings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am re-reading everything by the way. Knowing what has happened up to Episode 5, this was a good read. I like how you had things planned out before hand. Hinting in this first episode SPOILER ALERT: that you two are heading towards you know where, when that isn't even established until Episode 5. I like how this story starts somewhat in the middle, but then goes back to the beginning to recap. Are you planning on making this a thing for the beginning of every season? I think I kind of like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I also like the reference to The End. I know how much you love to tie everything in. I expect a bunch more.

    ReplyDelete